TALLADEGA, Ala. (April 20, 2022) – Race fans eager to make their return to Talladega Superspeedway will find themselves engulfed in a wealth of opportunities for fun, entertainment and a variety of activities when NASCAR descends on ‘Dega for the GEICO 500 race weekend NASCAR Cup Series Friday through Sunday April 22–24. Talladega has something for everyone!
Right next to the biggest track in the world
A variety of other opportunities for family fun will be available throughout the three-headed race weekend, which also includes the Ag-Pro 300, General Tire 200 and KLĒNSKIN Pole Qualifying qualifiers, halfway through the track outside the Frontstretch. Midway will open at 12:00 p.m. CDT on Friday and 8:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- The return of the popular “Trackside Live!” – a huge stage in the heart of the Midway will be filled with live guests and fan entertainment all weekend – including:
- 9:45 a.m.: Xfinity Series Dash4Cash drivers Austin Hill and Brandon Jones, hoping to win Xfinity’s extra $100,000
- 10 a.m.: Music by Cole Biedenharn
- 11:15 am: Max Impact (Air Force Band):
- 1:30 p.m.: Country music artist Walker Montgomery Acoustic Set:
- 9:30 a.m.: Rusty Wallace, NASCAR Hall of Famer and 1989 NASCAR Cup Series Champion
- 10:15 am: Ben Chapman Band
- 11:30 am: GEICO 500 Grand Marshal – Actor Alex Skarsgård from the new epic action movie The man from the north
- 11:45 a.m.: Justin Haley, NASCAR Cup Series driver, two-time TSS NASCAR Xfinity Series winner
- 12:00 p.m.: Questions and answers from fans of Ryan Blaney
- The NASCAR Kids Zone returns to the Midway with inflatables, an RC car track, color station, games, prizes and other NASCAR-themed activities to keep the whole family entertained. The NASCAR Kids Zone will be open at noon Friday through Sunday.
- The Midway will host fan activations and interactive games for the whole family from more than twenty different partners, including GEICO, eNASCAR, Chevrolet, Tito’s Vodka, Pit Boss Grills, US Airforce, Ag-Pro and Kingsford. Q&As for drivers will also take place in the Midway at the following partner activation zones:
- 2 p.m.: Bayley Currey & Ryan Vargus
- 2:30 p.m.: Jeremy Clements
- 11:45 a.m.: Sheldon Creed
- 12:15 p.m.: Justin Allgaier
- 12:45 p.m.: Myatt Snider
- 1:00 p.m.: Josh Berry
- 1:15 p.m.: Sam Mayer
- 10:30 a.m.: Corey The Joy
- 11 a.m.: Chase Elliott
- 11:15 am: Austin Dillon
- 11:30 a.m.: Alex Bowman
- 11:45: Noah Gragson
- 3 Chi:
- 11:15 am: Tyler Reddick
- Bennett Trucks:
- Other activities include ax throwing, face painting, both a balloon and cartoon artist, and Big Al, the Alabama Crimson Tide mascot.
- There will also be a host of food and drink stations highlighted by Papa Murphy’s and Saloon Bar as well as traditional options. A host of memorabilia and merchandise carriers will also be available for fans to grab the perfect item to support their favorite driver and, of course, their favorite track – Talladega Superspeedway.
- Live performances will take place on the FEVO stage on Sunday, featuring top bands from across the state of Alabama, including:
- 11:30 a.m.: Legacy Dance Center
- 11:45 a.m.: M2 Dance Studio
- 12:00 p.m.: Auxiliary Precision Corps
- 12:15 p.m.: United Karate Studios
- 12:30 p.m.: South Dance Center
- 12:45 p.m.: Dance of the scenic city
Inside the biggest track in the world
- Back and better than ever, on Friday night, on-court ticket holders and Renewal Grandstand ticket holders in attendance will have the opportunity to experience the unique “Big One on the Blvd” beginning at 7:30 p.m. on the famous Talladega Blvd. Fans will see familiar faces on Mardi Gras-style floats parade through the infield, as well as the chance to participate in special “fan challenges” led by NASCAR drivers and personalities. Competitions will include “BBQ Sauce Wrestling”, “Slop Fest”, “Rubber Pull”, and “Oh Sit!”. After the Big One at 9:10 p.m., fireworks will light up the sky for all spectators.
- Saturday night after the NASCAR Xfinity Series Ag-Pro 300, everything fans will be able to enter the grounds for the Saturday Night Infield Concert featuring DJ Mark AD and country music star Walker Montgomery, before headliner Riley Green, from nearby Jacksonville, takes the stage. It all starts at 7:30 p.m. The concert is offered FREE to Infield guests and fans who have a ticket to Sunday’s GEICO 500 Grandstand.
- Fans who have purchased a “Talladega Garage Experience” entry will get a behind-the-scenes look at the hustle and bustle of the NASCAR Cup Series. Customers will have the chance to watch in the garage as the cars are prepared to race, have access to pre-race ceremonies and celebrate with their favorite driver in Ruoff Mortgage Victory Lane (where fans can take a photo with the Vulcan, the winner’s trophy and the mascot of the Vulcan Museum – visitvulcan.com). The Talladega Garage Experience add-on is complete for any true racing fan. Participants will also be able to participate in Q&As with their favorite drivers and other personalities during the FR8 bidding phase throughout the weekend. A dozen of NASCAR’s best will be in attendance, including Chase Elliott and Bubba Wallace, scheduled for Sunday at 11:25 a.m. and 11:40 a.m., respectively. Fans who want to see classic race cars will get just that with incredible historic machines from the past brought to you by the pioneers of Alabama Racing.
- The Talladega Garage Experience Pass will also give fans the opportunity to get autographs of NASCAR royalty at Big Bill’s on Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday.
- Bobby Allison, the senior member of the notorious Alabama Gang; 1983 NASCAR Cup Series champion and four-time Talladega Superspeedway winner
- Donnie Allison, original member of the famous Alabama Gang and two-time Talladega Superspeedway winner
- Liz Allison, widow of the great Davey Allison, three-time winner at Talladega
Stay up to date with all the fan activities and entertainment at Talladega Superspeedway with the Talladega Ultimate Fan Checklist.
In the area near the largest race track in the world
There will also be a host of family-friendly activities just outside of Talladega Superspeedway this weekend, including:
- Thursday Night: The Velcro Pygmies perform at 8 p.m. at the FOX Sports 1 Dome at the International Motorsports Hall of Fame, located near the main entrance to the Talladega Superspeedway. Tickets start at $12.50 per person and can be purchased at Eventbrite.com or pay $15 at the door. A cash bar will be offered. All proceeds will be donated to IMHOF, home to an incredible collection of historic cars and memorabilia. Special hours during the weekend are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Friday afternoon: The Talladega Walk of Fame at Davey Allison Memorial Park and Block Party in downtown Talladega (West Coffee Street). Clint Bowyer, FOX NASCAR analyst and two-time Talladega Superspeedway winner, will be inducted into an elite group. Admission is FREE to the event, which runs from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. As a special pre-event occasion, 1983 NASCAR champion and four-time Talladega Superspeedway winner Bobby Allison, along with his brother Donnie Allison, two-time Talladega winner, will be signing autographs from 3-5 p.m. before the main park festivities. . They will be joined by Liz Allison, Davey Allison’s widow, while Davey’s authentic 1993 #28 Ford Thunderbird will be on display. Plus, there will be a slew of activities for those in attendance – live music, inflatables, vendors, food trucks, and more.
- Friday/Saturday Night: While in town for the GEICO 500, a few NASCAR stars are set to battle it out in the evening just down the street at Talladega Short Track. Defending Series One champion Kyle Larson and 2017 GEICO 500 winner Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. are expected to show their skills on the 1/3 mile clay surface. Legendary marvel and NASCAR Hall of Famer Red Farmer (original member of the notorious Alabama Gang) is also slated to compete. On Friday and Saturday nights, eight classes compete, highlighted by Super Late Models and sprint wing cars. For all information, log on to talladegashorttrack.com.
Talladega Superspeedway’s triple weekend will include Sunday’s GEICO 500 NASCAR Cup Series race (2:00 p.m. CDT), which will see NASCAR’s Next Gen car benched at 31 degrees for the first time. Saturday’s General Tire 200 is scheduled for noon Saturday, followed by the Ag-Pro 300 (3 p.m. CDT) for the NASCAR Xfinity Series. KLĒNSKIN Pole Qualifying to determine the starting lineup for the GEICO 500 will also take place on Saturday, beginning at 10 a.m. CDT.
To view all weekend admission opportunities, visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 1-877-Go2-DEGA. Opportunities include hospitality areas such as Fan Suites, Premium Box Seating and the Busch Balcony, as well as amazing children’s programs.
Fans are encouraged to follow all the happenings at the biggest and baddest race track on the planet by following Talladega Superspeedway on Twitter, Facebook and instagram; as well as the all-new NASCAR Tracks app.
About Talladega Superspeedway
Talladega Superspeedway is the most competitive race track in the NASCAR program (record 88 lead changes in 188 laps), steepest (33 degrees) and longest (2.66 miles), as well as the most fun and more fan-friendly. Three- and four-wide races at 200 mph are a norm at Talladega Superspeedway, along with biting photo finishes. For more information, visit www.talladegasuperspeedway.com or call 1-877-Go2-DEGA.